Sunday, December 25, 2005

St George AGM (2005)

Details
Company: St George
Type: AGM
Date: 16 December 2005
Chairman: ??
CEO: Gail Kelly

Pre-AGM

I had arranged to go to the St George AGM with a friend, who owned shares in St George. I did absolutely no research on the company and, having no proxy, was unable to ask any questions.

Like most bank AGMs for the past decade, I wasn't expecting anything major. Results have been good and there haven't been any significant black marks on it. But I had nothing else to do, and figured that the free lunch would be nice.

Post-AGM

I had one minor gripe with the presentation. The poxy vote numbers that were provided showed the for and against votes, but not the split for chairman's proxys. It is my understanding that the company must present to the AGM the number of for and against votes for each resolution as well as the proxy votes for the chair along with which way those are voted (providing a split between open and non-open votes).

However, the proxy votes were provided after debate but before the actual vote. That was good, I liked that.

Also at the AGM I saw Greg Dooley, General Manager of Computershare NSW, outside at the registry desk. I went up to him and said hi.

The previous day I had been to an Australian Shareholders Association seminar on share registries, and Greg had been the speaker. He spoke for about an hour about how share resitries were, explained the difference between HINs vs SRNs, issuer sponsored vs broker sponsored and answered general questions. It was quite a bit for me to explain here, but if you go to their website and have a look around you might be able to learn a thing or two. I found it very useful and have fallen in love with the Computershare website, it makes managing your portfolio, giving them your bank account/TFN details and doing your tax much much easier. So if you're interested I should have a link to both the Computershare and Shareholders Association websites on the set of links on the right.

So at the AGM I maade sure to tell Greg how much I enjoyed his talk, that I'll certainly be using the Computershare website from now on and that it really will help to save me a lot of time. So a bit of a shameless plus for the guys at Computershare, I really recomend their services for all shareholders out there.

1 Comments:

At Friday, January 06, 2006, Blogger Dangy said...

bloody interesting blog Bambul. Keep stickin' it to the man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home